What Are the Most Common Causes of Water Damage in Knoxville Homes?
SERVPRO Water Damage Mitigation Specialists Restore Knoxville Residences After Disaster Occurs
Water damage is among the most common disasters in the United States and can impact a property without warning. Miniscule perforations in pipes, damaged gaskets, leaky supply lines, and fixture failures are just a few of the many causes of water damage Knoxville homeowners have to endure. Worse still, these disasters can go unnoticed for days or weeks in some situations, leading to skyrocketing water bills, structural damage, and mold proliferation.
SERVPRO water cleanup professionals provide Knoxville properties with water damage removal services 24/7, even on holidays. Disasters do not impact properties on a predictable schedule, and even minor incidents can quickly escalate into more significant problems. With this in mind, SERVPRO professionals can quickly restore homes affected by water damage to minimize repair and replacement needs.
The Most Common Causes of Residential Water Damage
While homeowners may be concerned about how weather can impact their properties, the truth is that a considerable amount of water damage results from non-weather sources. Temperature changes or lacking insulation alone can affect the integrity of plumbing or appliances.
- Plumbing-related disasters are easily among the most common for water damage cleanup. Worn threading, loose pipe joints, perforations, and ruptures from frozen pipes or clogged pipes all can introduce hundreds of gallons of water into a property in a short period
- Appliances that rely on water, such as dishwashers, washing machines, and refrigerators, can experience supply line leaks, torn door gaskets, and drainpipe clogs that impact flooring, drywall, cabinetry, and other nearby materials
- Drain clogs can also create issues in other water-using appliances. A toilet clog can impact sinks or showers, for example
- Some water damage is accidental. A busy homeowner may start running a bathtub and leave it running enough to overflow or run the dishwasher without closing the door all the way
Whatever the cause may be, SERVPRO tools and knowledge can safely sanitize and remediate structures and contents to a clean, dry condition.
SERVPRO Moisture Extraction Equipment for Various Water-Impacted Surfaces
SERVPRO technicians can implement water extraction with a suite of tools tailored to multiple water damage scenarios.
- Smaller-scale damages, or moisture in hard-to-reach nooks and crannies, can be addressed with portable extractors, which provide approximately 140 inches of water lift in ideal conditions. These units come with sanitation solution and wastewater tanks that each carry between five and 12 gallons
- Truck-mounted units are designed for large amounts of moisture affecting a property. These units can weigh up to about half a ton and can store dozens of gallons of water
- Specialized tools are available for salvaging carpet, including carpet wands, rover vacuums, and submersible pumps
Moisture extractors eliminate the bulk of excess water in and on surfaces, including upholstery and carpet, to accelerate the drying process, performed with carefully-positioned air movers and dehumidification units. Most water damage scenarios are likely to rely on low-grain refrigerant coil dehumidifiers. Depending on the structural materials affected and the power sources available, desiccant dehumidification can be a more effective choice.
When water homeowners need water removal services that make a property look and feel “Like it never even happened,” they can contact SERVPRO of Rocky Hills / Sequoyah Hills / South Knoxville at (865) 862-8907.